Sunday, May 19, 2013

In Your Arms Tonight: Genji Higashiyama Story (Chapter 1)








MC: "Mmm, that was fantastic. There's no beating your clam chowder, Mom."
Yoshiko: "Why, thank you for the compliment."
MC: "Hey, Mom... I'm sorry."
Yoshiko: "Hm? About what?"
MC: "I've been acting so selfish." 
Yoshiko: "It's fine. It's your life, you can do what you want with it."
MC: "...Thank you."
Yoshiko: "I'm always on your side, okay? So do your best, and don't let yourself get too down."
MC: "You're right. Oh, I've got plans to meet Akiko and the girls tonight, so I won't be home for dinner."
Yoshiko: "Oh? Don't drink too much."
MC: "Yes, Mom."

As I finished off my breakfast and sipped some tea, my father came down from the second floor.

Yoshiko: "Good morning."
MC: "...Good morning."
Tetsuo: "Ah... Good morning."

He took a seat across from me and opened up the newspaper. His eyes didn't come anywhere near mine.

MC: "..."
Yoshiko: "MC, would you like more tea?"
MC: "I'm okay, thanks. That was a good breakfast."



MC: "...Ugh." (This is suffocating. My home used to be the most relaxing place I knew until 3 months ago...)

I looked at my dejected expression in the mirror.

(I have to keep it together. The choice was mine to make. In the end, there was no way I could stay with Koichi.)       

I forced a smile out of myself as I faced the mirror.


MC: "Good morning!"
Shohei: "...G'morning, MC."

Aiba had his head on his desk, and turned it to look up at me. He looked completely exhausted.

MC: "All-nighter?"
Shohei: "Yeah. The client told us to make a design change at the last minute. Between the all-nighter and having to come in on the weekend, I'm a mess."  
MC: "Would you like me to put on some coffee?"
Shohei: "For real?! Drinking your morning coffee makes me glad to be alive."   
MC: "You don't have to make such a big production out of it. I'll just start up the coffee maker."


The De'Longhi coffee maker gave off bubbling noises and a pleasant fragrance.

Nanami: "Wow, that smells good. Mind if I have some?"


(Aiba called her a troublemaker, but she seems nice enough to me.)

MC: "Good morning, Nanami. I put on enough for everyone, don't worry."
Nanami: "Great! You can always count on a housewife."
MC: "..."

I surreptitiously hid my left hand from view.

MC: "I'll bring it to your desk, okay?"
Nanami: "Only if you insist. Thanks a bunch!"
MC: "..."

I had told my boss about my divorce, but I hadn't made it public.

(I figure some people would notice that my wedding ring's gone, though...)


I poured cups of coffee for everyone and brought them back to the office.

MC: "...Good morning. I've brought coffee."


My manager, Mr. Ebihara, remained facing the PC and didn't so much look as my way.

MC: "Yes, sir..."
Kippei: "How's the book cafe interior concept coming along?"
MC: "Oh, yes... I'll get everything arranged today and give you a report tomorrow."
Kippei: "Good."
MC: "..." (I thought he might be a nice guy when he took me out drinking, but... He really is intimidating.)


I sat down in front of my computer and started typing up concepts for the book cafe.

"How would you like a slice of nature in the middle of the city? A soothing atmosphere for adults and children, filled with greenery. Under the sea! Experience true serenity surrounded by aquariums filled with tropical fish."  

"Alice in Wonderland. Welcome to a cinematic world packed with dreams and adventure."

MC: "...Hmm."
Shohei: "How's it going, MC?"
MC: "I just can't figure out where to go with this. Should I go with the sea, or the forest, or movies...?"
Shohei: "I'd go with the sea, personally. Nothing beats sprawling out on the beach and taking it easy."
MC: "Yeah..."
Shohei: "Where would you want to go the most on a date right now?"

MC: "Huh?"  
Shohei: "You should make a choice with that in mind."
MC: "A date spot, huh..."
Shohei: "So, what would you go for?"
MC: "Maybe the sea."   
Shohei: "Why the sea?" 
MC: "You can forget about time, schedules."
Shohei: "Good idea. It's good to let go of that. All right, I'll take you out!"
MC: "Huh?"
Shohei: "Well, er, I just mean as a change of pace... I haven't gotten any breaks lately myself..."
MC: "I appreciate the offer, but I'll pass on the date. I want to stay focused on work right now."
Shohei: "Ah... That makes sense. It's better to finish up work early, right?"
MC: "Thanks for the advice."
Shohei: "S-Sure thing. Hang in there."

(Aiba knows that I moved, so he must know that I'm divorced. But for all that, he's nice enough not to bring it up.)    


Akiko: "Ugh, I can't believe the system goes down right as we're about to leave. Now we're going to be late."  
MC: "Don't worry about it. I sent Aoi and Yukako e-mails to let them know to go on and drink without us, so we'll be fine."

Due to problems with our computer network, we didn't make it to our 7 PM meetup until well after 8 PM. 


Ding, ding

Kiyoto: "Hey, Miss. Come to see me again?"
MC: "Not at all."
Akiko: "Miss?! When did you get friendly with the bartender, MC?"
MC: "We're... not exactly friendly."
Kiyoto: "Mm, girls' night out?"
MC: "More or less."

Aoi and Yukako were seated inside.



MC: "Hm? I sent you an e-mail to go on without us."
Aoi: "I'd rather not drink without the star of the party here."
Yukako: "Yeah. We're celebrating your new departure today, MC."
Aoi: "Bartender, I'd like to order!"   

Kiyoto came up with an assortment of cheeses and crackers.

Yukako: "Huh? I didn't order that."
Kiyoto: "It's on the house since I heard it's a girls' night out. Don't tell the owner."

(He's giving them the wrong idea again... Ugh.)

MC: "Thanks."
Kiyoto: "So, what'll you have?"
Yukako: "I'll have a daiquiri."
Aoi: "Orange blossom for me."
Akiko: "A Moscow mule here."
Kiyoto: "And you'll have the Tom Collins, Miss."

Kiyoto said, and went right back to the bar.

MC: "..."
Yukako: "What kind of relationship do you have to that boy, MC?"
MC: "There's no relationship to be had... He was just there when I went out drinking with Mr. Ebihara."
Akiko: "What?! You went drinking with Mr. Ebihara?!"
MC: "Y-Yeah..."
Aoi: "Who's that?"
MC: "My manager at work."
Akiko: "He's totally hot, but he's notorious around the office for being super demanding and intimidating."
Yukako: "Huh. Is he single?"
Akiko: "Beats me. I've never asked."
Aoi: "MC's so cute that the guys can't leave her alone even when she's married."
MC: "That's not true."
Akiko: "It totally is. Not to brag, but to this day I've never gone drinking with a guy alone."
Aoi: "That's not bragging! You're just too shy, Akko."
Yukako: "MC and Akko and I should have a mixer together! We can make arrangements for any guys, from advertising firm reps to publishers."  
Akiko: "No way! I'd just die if I went to a mixer!"
Yukako: "Don't be so melodramatic. You could go to one little mixer. Right, MC?"
MC: "Maybe... But I don't think I'm ready for one yet..."
Akiko: "Honestly I'd rather take some time off with everybody and get a nice escape overseas for a while. But we have jobs, and Aoi has kids, so that'll never happen."  
Yukako: "And that's why we're here to drink our cares away today!"
Aoi: "It is not. It's to celebrate MC's new departure!"
Yukako: "Oh, yeah. Sorry."
Akiko: "Still, Koichi's such a trashy guy. Fooling around barely 3 months into the marriage? You were right to break it off with him, MC."
Kiyoto: "What's this...? You're divorced, Miss?"

(...Why did he have to show up now of all times?)

Kiyoto: "Maybe you could spend the night with me tonight, then?"
MC: "The heck I would. If you're done bringing drinks, get back to the bar and leave us alone."
Kiyoto: "Ooh, a tough act. Well, you can come see me when you get too frustrated. I'll be glad to keep you company."

(I'm not frustrated...)

Yukako: "God, that boy is pushy, isn't he? Carnivorous young boys are a pretty rare finds these days, MC. You should stop giving him the cold shoulder and keep him."
MC: "Don't be ridiculous. He's 20. That's way too young."
Aoi: "She's right. He's cute, but I bet he'd be exhausting to keep up with."
Akiko: "Forget about all that. It's time for a toast. My throat's getting dry."
Yukako: "Yeah, yeah. You're the star today, MC, so you can give it!"
MC: "I'm sorry to have worried you all so much over this whole thing, girls. But I'll be all right. Let's keep sticking together. Cheers!" 
All three: "Cheers!"

We raised our cocktail glasses in a toast.

(It might be hard for me at times, but I've got my friends rooting for me. I'm not alone. So... I have to keep it together.) 



Just past 10 PM

MC: "Huh...? Genji?"


MC: "...What are you doing here?"
Yukako: "I called him. I thought it might be nice for us to meet up again."
MC: "..."
Yukako: "You're pretty late."
Genji: "I had to go home to drop off my car. I came as fast as I could."
Akiko: "Genji, have you gotten even more of a tan since the last time we saw you?"
Genji: "I'm out running everyday. In my line of work, my body is my main asset."  
Aoi: "What'll you have, Genji?"
Genji: "One draft!"

Genji fwumped down in a seat near ours.

Genji: "Divorce isn't a big deal, MC. Don't let it bring you down."
MC: "..."
Genji: "I'm glad you got out of it when you did, before the wounds got any deeper."
MC: "..."
Genji: "Any man whose eyes roam to other women that quickly isn't  a man at all."
MC: "..."
Genji: "Cat got your tongue?"
MC: "....."
Genji: "Don't look so mopey. C'mon smile. You look cutest when you're smiling."
MC: "..."
Genji: "Hey, I know! Once the league season starts, you can all come to a game."
Yukako: "Ooh, I like the sound of that!"
Aoi: "Could I bring the kids? The older one's a huge soccer fan.
Genji: "Of course. I'll reserve you special seats. I could get a soccer ball signed by the whole team, too."
Aoi: "That'd be wonderful!"
MC: "..." 
Akiko: "You'll come too, won't you, MC?"
Genji: "Of course she will."
Yukako: "What's wrong, MC? You haven't said a word for a while now."

MC: "...Sorry, I should get home."
Akiko: "Huh...?"
Yukako: "Why?"

MC: "I just remembered I had to do something."
Aoi: "Do what...?"
MC: "I forgot to take care of some business Mom asked me to handle."

I picked up my purse and rose to my feet.

MC: "I'm really sorry. I'll leave my portion of the check here."

That was all I said before making a beeline for the exit.




I ran and ran down the main road. All the feelings I had been holding back came bursting out at once, and tears streamed down my face. Passers-by looked at me curiously.

(I don't care who sees me. But I didn't want Genji to see.)

MC: "..." (I'm so miserable... I can't let Genji see that. Anyone but him.) "..." (A sad, pathetic wreck that only lasted 3 months in a marriage... And with my husband cheating on me... It's more humiliation that I can stand. Ugh, I hate this. I swore to myself I wouldn't cry anymore... But I can't stop the tears from coming...)


I ran until I could run no more, then I collapsed on a roadside bench. I huffed and gasped, struggling to catch my breath. 


MC: *huff, huff, huff*

I wiped away my sweat and tears with a handkerchief.

MC:*huff, huff, huff*

I spotted a vending machine nearby and bought some bottled water. I twisted off the cap and gulped some down, then unconsciously glanced up.

MC: "?!"

Genji was right there in front of me smiling. My heart skipped a beat. It was a billboard of him advertising a sports drink.

MC: "Idiot! Don't show up here of all places!"
???: "Who's the idiot here?"


MC: "Huh?"








MC: "?!" (You're kidding me...)
Genji: "Dummy! You've got a long way to go before you can start badmouthing me!"
MC: "...What are you doing here?!"
Genji: "Chasing after you, duh."
MC: "..."
Genji: "Anyone could see right through that halfassed lie about having to do something.
MC: "..."
Genji: "Why'd you bolt?"
MC: "That wasn't what I was doing."
Genji: "Then come back to the bar with me."
MC: "Er..."
Genji: "You don't want to?"
MC: "...Please... Just leave me alone."
Genji: "I come all the way out here, and this is the attitude I get?"

MC: "..." (Oh, goodness... Genji's really mad...)
Fan 1: "Um... Excuse me."

I heard someone speak up behind us and turned around to face them.

Fan 2: "Are you Genji Higashiyama, with the Japan national soccer team?"
Genji: "...Yeah, can I help you?"

It was 2 girls in high school uniforms.

Fan 1: "Whoa, for real?!"
Fan 2: "We're huge fans of yours! Could we get your autograph?"
Genji: "Yeah, sure. Got anything to write with?"
Fan 1: "We do. Just a minute."

The girls pulled out pens and notepads from their bags.

MC: "..."

I watched the exchange from a slight distance. Genji turned his back to me and gave the 2 fans the same smile he had on the billboard.

MC: "..."
Genji: "What're your names? 
Fan 1: "I'm Mika!"
Fan 2: "I'm Tomomi!"
Genji: "Mika and Tomomi, right?"

Genji autographed their notepads, "To Mika" and "To Tomomi".

Genji: "High school students, huh. It's nice to be young."
Fan 1: "You're plenty young yourself, Mr. Higashiyama!"
Genji: "Y'think so?"
Fan 2: May I shake your hand?"
Genji: "Of course. I hope you keep supporting me."
Fan 2: "Keep at it!"
Genji: "Thanks."
 

  



(Genji's patience must be running out...)

I left Genji where he stood and started walking back to my house. Stars shone in the sky.

(The brightest star in the sky there... It's like Genji.)

MC: "..." (Sorry, but... You're too bright for me now, Genji. Being with you makes me even more miserable. So... Just leave me be for now.)



No comments:

Post a Comment