Friday, May 17, 2013

In Your Arms Tonight - Prologue 3






Genji: "Will this do?"
MC: "...Yes." (I can't believe I'm riding as a passenger in a car the Genji is driving... This can't be real.)

I glanced at Genji's face.

(He used to be so boyish. Now he's grown so manly.) 

The car stopped at a traffic light. Genji looked at me sitting in the passenger's seat.

MC: "...What is it?"

Genji extended a hand and softly stroked my hair.

MC: "?!"
Genji: "It's still wet."

I started toweling off my hair vigorously.

(Oh, god... I can feel myself blushing. He's going to see it...)

The light changed, and Genji drove the car forward. It was still raining outside, but it was surprisingly quiet inside the car.

(Gah... This silence is so awkward.) 

MC: " ..."
Genji: "Nervous?"
MC: "Not at all... I was just thinking."
Genji: About how cool I've become?"
MC: "You used to be so shy you'd never try a line like that. It feels like you've mellowed out."
Genji: "Well, people change. I'm 30 now. It's been 12 years since I graduated high school."
MC: "...12 years, huh. It's been so long."


MC: "...Genji, are you going to Italy?"


MC: "I see..."
Genji: "As things stand right now, I won't get on the national team. I need to train myself in a more demanding setting." 
MC: "Oh... Okay. Well, do your best. I'm sure you'll make your dreams come true." 

I felt the tears that I had been holding back brimming up in my eyes, and I turned away from Genji.

MC: "I need to go. My mom is waiting for me. Send me a letter if you feel like writing, okay? Goodbye."

I started to run off when Genji grabbed my arm.

Genji: "MC!"
MC: "..."
Genji: "Look at me."
MC: "..."

Genji embraced me from behind. 

MC: "?!"
Genji: "Could you wait for me?"
MC: "..."
Genji: "I'll be back for you, mark my words."

I remained in Genji's embrace and couldn't say a word. I quietly turned, and... Genji's heart pounded against mine.

Genji: "MC."  

He never said my name like that before. Genji's face drew nearer. Our noses collided.


He laughed awkwardly and gave my nose a gentle pat, then brought his lips down for a gentle kiss. I closed my eyes and savored the feel of his lips. So that I would never forget it. 


MC: "..." (...It makes me sad, remembering that.)
Genji: "I know 12 years is a long time, but I'd figured you'd wait for me."

(What am I even supposed to say to that?)



MC: "Thanks for the ride."

Genji offered me a card.

Genji: "That's my private card."

MC: "..."

I accepted it. It had the name Genji Higashiyama printed in the middle in a large font. The only items below it were a cell phone number and an e-mail address.

Genji: "I got your contact info from the class reunion organizer. Let's go out for dinner next week. I'll call you."
MC: "Um, I..."
Genji: "It has to be next week. Once the season starts, it won't be easy to free up my schedule."
MC: "..."
Genji: "You don't want to see me?"
MC: "..." (I've just gotten married... I can't go seeing guys I used to like in high school on my own.)


MC: "Cut it out!"  Genji: "I was just seeing how you'd react."
MC: "..."
Genji: "Stay happy, MC."
MC: "Thank you... Goodbye."

Genji climbed back into his car and drove off. I watched the taillights of the car as it drove away and turned toward my house. Koichi was standing there, watching me. 



(He saw me with Genji...)


MC: "...Koichi."
Koichi: "Welcome home."

(Why is Koichi smiling so casually...? Because he's fooling around himself?)  

MC: "...Thanks."
Koichi: "I'm going out for a bit."
MC: "Huh...?"
Koichi: "I don't know when I'll be back, so you can go on to bed before I get back."

That was all Koichi said before walking off toward the parking lot.

MC: "Koichi, wait! Can't we talk a little first?"

I called out to him, but he just kept going.

MC: "..." (Koichi doesn't seem the least bit interested in me... I guess he really doesn't love me...) 



I sat on the bed in my room and stared absently at nothing. So much had happened in such a short time. I had no idea what to do, or even what I wanted to do. I looked at the framed photo of our wedding.

(What is marriage, anyway?)

MC: "..." (I'd wanted to build a nice family with Koichi back then. I was sure I'd be happy with him... But...) 


Genji: "Stay happy, MC."


I reflected on Genji's words and found myself overwhelmed with the urge to cry.

(If only I'd seen Genji 3 months ago... I'd be...)

MC: *sob* "I just... I just want to be happy..."

Ding dong!

MC: "..." (Koichi? Did he come back...?)

I looked at myself in the mirror. My eyes were puffy,

MC: "Ugh, I look like hell..."

The doorbell rang again. I had no choice but to go answer it.




Kippei: "I told you not to let it go to your head."

Mr. Ebihara spoke in a snappy tone with an envelope in his hand. But he must have seen my face and deflated a little with the next thing he said.

Kippei: "...What's wrong? You don't look well."
MC: "...I was having trouble putting my contacts in."
Kippei: "..."

(He knows better than that...)  

MC: "I'm sorry. I forgot that envelope at the office. You came to bring it to me, didn't you?"
Kippei: "Yeah."
MC: "I'll make sure to bring it to the client on Monday. That's such an embarrassing blunder on my part. I'm so sorry."  
Kippei: "Just be more careful."

I took the envelope and the memo with the address on it when he offered them.

Kippei: "...Is your husband here?" 
MC: "No... He just stepped out..."
Kippei: "Oh... Can you join me for a bit?"
MC: "Okay... Um, do you mind if I change first? I'm still wet from the rain."
Kippei: "Sure."



MC: "...What am I doing?" (Becoming anxious over the job the client appointed me to do, going through one mood swing after another from Koichi and Genji's words... I totally forgot about the envelope Mr. Ebihara left with me.) You're better than this. Keep it together!

I told myself in the mirror. I went to the washroom to wash my face.



Having changed my clothes and reapplied my makeup, I followed silently after Mr. Ebihara. Mr. Ebihara had nothing to say as he walked ahead of me.

(This morning his back seemed so cold. Now it feels gentle to me. I wonder why...)



Mr. Ebihara stopped in front of a bar.


MC: "Um... Here?"
Kippei: "Yeah. This is another place we designed the interior for."

He opened the door and went right inside.

MC: "..." (Of all the...)


Kiyoto: "Hey, Miss. Was that man just now your husband? Miss? If you can't stand, want me to carry you?" 

(He must be here... Oh, god...)





As I stood hesitantly before the doors...

Kippei: "Hey, what's wrong? Come on in."

Mr. Ebihara held the door open and urged me in.

(Well, whatever will be, will be.)

I steeled myself and stepped inside.


(I knew it...)

I tried to hide my face as I followed after Mr. Ebihara.



I sat on a sofa with my back facing the bar and let out a sigh.

Kippei: "...Order whatever you like."
MC: "...Thank you."

The owner came up to us.

Owner: "Hey there, Ebi. It's not every day  you bring a woman here."
Kippei: "She's just started working for me. This is the owner of the bar, Mr. Kinoshita."
MC: "I'm MC. It's nice to meet you."
Owner: "Same to you. What'll it be?"
MC: "Let's see... A Tom Collins, with lime.
Kippei: "I'll have a gin and tonic."
Owner: "Very good."
MC: "Do you come here to drink often?"
Kippei: "I just visit a lot of bars as part of the job. What kind of interior does a place have? What's their concept? What do the customers want in a restaurant? I'm always thinking about that sort of thing."  
MC: "You're a natural workaholic, aren't you?"
Kippei: "I suppose I am. Work is all I have, I guess."
MC: "..."
Kippei: "..."  

(What to do...? I can't keep the conversation going. I barely know anything about Mr. Ebihara.)

Kiyoto: "Thank you for waiting. Here is your Tom Collins and your gin and tonic." 
MC: "?!" (Crud. I'd been trying to avoid being spotted... Why'd he have to be the one to bring our drinks?)
Kiyoto: "Oh, hey there, lady."
MC: "...Hello there."
Kippei: "...You and MC know each other?"
Kiyoto: "Yeah, sort of..."
MC: "Excuse me, we just met last night. Would you mind not making it sound weird?"
Kiyoto: "We may have only met last night, but I've already seen you crying and angry."
MC: "?!"
Kippei: "...Fascinating."
MC: "Um, please don't get the wrong idea. He just happened to see me at a bad time. Nothing happened between us." 
Kiyoto: "Isn't your denying it in an irritated tone stranger than anything I said in the first place?"
MC: "..." (He may have a point there... For some reason it throws me off having him nearby.)
Kiyoto: "And what's your relationship with the lady, Mr. Ebihara?"
Kippei: "She just works for me."
Kiyoto: "Oh, I see... Hey... I'd like to have a drink with you too."  
MC: "What!"
Kiyoto: "You mind, Mr. Ebihara?"
Kippei: "Do what you want."

(What?! If Mr. Ebihara agrees to it, I can't refuse...)

I clutched my Tom Collins and took a drink.

(I guess I've got no choice but to drink tonight.)

How did I end up drinking with Mr. Ebihara and Kiyoto Makimura?

Kiyoto: "Hey, listen... Do you mind if I just call you MC?"
MC: "Cut it out... I don't want to give others the wrong idea."
Kiyoto: "...What? Most married women like being called by their first name."
Kippei: "Is that right?"
Kiyoto: "In my experience. Especially women with kids. Everyone around them calls them so-and-so's Mom. They love it when people address them by their own name."  
MC: "Well, I don't see why a guy I don't even like has to call me anything."
Kiyoto: "Oh, really? In that case, I'll just have to get you to like it."
  
He said, then took hold of my shoulders and drew close.

MC: "What is with you, toying with a married woman? That's really not cool, you know!"

Smack!

Kiyoto: "Ow..."
MC: "Excuse me! One margarita, please!"
Kiyoto: "Well, I'll be damned. You're a tough drinker, lady. You've had a Tom Collins and a gimlet. That'll be your third drink."
Kippei: "Aren't you having a little too much?"

MC: "I'm fine."


After that, I got two more margarita refills and found myself in totally high spirits.

MC: "See, there's no telling when a guy's being nice or being cold... They always send out mixed signals... And we're always the ones hurt by it..."  
Kiyoto: "You're talking about your husband, I bet."
MC: "!"
Kiyoto: "Of course you'd feel that way after catching him in the act."
MC: "..."
Kiyoto: "Hey... If you're feeling lonely, I'll keep you company any time."
MC: "That's all right."
Kiyoto: "How about that arrogant goalie, then?" 
MC: "?!"
Kippei: "Arrogant goalie?"
Kiyoto: "Genji Higashiyama. A goalie on the national soccer team. He just got back from Italy. He was classmates with the lady here." 
MC: "I'm going to wash my hands!"

Clatter!

I rose quickly to my feet and stumbled.

Kippei: "Hey, are you okay?"
MC: "Towawy fiiine!"
Kiyoto: "Heh. You can't even enunciate right."
MC: "Towawy fine, I said!"

I teetered and tottered my way to the washroom.

(I can't believe he said all that in front of Mr. Ebihara... Ugh, my head feels so sluggish.)


MC: "Ngh... Ow... I've got a splitting headache... (Huh...? Am I riding on someone's back?) ?! Mr. Ebihara?!"     
Kippei: "Oh, you're up."
MC: "I'm so sorry. You can put me down."

I said hastily, and Mr. Ebihara leaned down. I quickly dismounted from his back. I was so embarrassed I couldn't even look up.  

MC: "I can't believe I exposed you to such an awful spectacle... I'm really sorry, sir."
Kippei: "You passed out on the couch in front of the washroom. Be more careful next time."
MC: "Y-Yes, sir..."
Kippei: "What are you doing? Start walking. I'll see you home."
MC: "Oh, no, thank you. I should be fine from here. My house isn't far at all, and I couldn't possibly put you through any more trouble."
Kippei: "All right..."
MC: "Thank you very much, sir."

Mr. Ebihara started to leave, then paused and pulled something out of his briefcase.

Kippei: "Here, cool your head with this."

It was an herbal drink.

MC: "Oh... Thank you."
Kippei: "Don't forget to deliver the envelope on Monday."
MC: "Yes, sir."

Mr. Ebihara turned away and walked off. I silently watched him go.

(Did Mr. Ebihara see that I was depressed and invite me out for a drink...?)

Mr. Ebihara's back was a very gentle back.




I got back to the house and looked at the clock. It was 3 a.m.

(I guess Koichi never came back. Is he seeing that woman again?)

MC: "..."

I sat back listlessly on the couch. I sipped the herbal drink Mr. Ebihara had given me.

MC: "Ugh, bitter..."

I lay down on the couch.

MC: "..."

Another wave of drowsiness hit me. I fell asleep, still in my clothes and makeup. 


???: "You okay?"

I heard a distant voice.

(Of course I'm not okay... My body and my heart are both a wreck.)

???: "Don't worry. I'm with you. I'm on your side, always."

(Thank you.)

???: "Get lots of rest."

(Pleasant dreams.)

In my dream, someone gently stroked my hair and I dozed off. The curtains billowed lightly as a pleasant wind blew in through the window. I was on my bed, swathed in white sheets. Someone was at my side. I could feel their warm hands, their warm gaze upon me. I fell sound asleep, feeling happy. My eyes snapped open at the sound of my alarm clock.



MC: "Oh, geez! I can't believe I fell asleep without washing off my makeup... (I've been getting so upset and crying so much. I really am a wreck.) ..." (That dream had felt so real.)



???: "Don't worry. I'm with you. I'm on your side, always.
MC: (Thank you.)
???: "Sleep tight.




MC: "..." (In my dream, someone was holding me and softly stroking my hair... Who was it...?)


Who held you gently in his arms...?     

No comments:

Post a Comment