Friday, May 24, 2013

In Your Arms Tonight: Genji Higashiyama Story (Chapter 4)





Staff: "This is the model room that we'd like you to handle the interior for."

Click.

At the start of the week, I went with Aiba to get a look at the actual model room.

Shohei: "Is it a one-bedroom condo?"
Staff: "Our target market for these condos is single working women and investors, so most of the places are one-bedroom."
MC: "It's very spacious for being one-bedroom."
Staff: "Yes, quite so. Each condo has a surface area of over 50 square meters. A lot of it takes loans from the Government Housing Loan Corporation into account."
MC: "It's a good location, too. And the security is tight. It's a great place."
Staff: "Thank you very much.
It's thanks to that, that this series of condos is constantly selling out."

Shohei: "But... It must cost a pretty penny."
Staff: "I'd say so. The cheapest condo is over $600,000..."
MC: "$600,000?!"
Shohei: "Whew, working women must have it made these days..."
Staff: "Our female purchasers tend to come from foreign trading companies... As well as financial businesses, advertising firms, and television stations."
MC: "...In that case, the interior should be classy and refined."
Staff: "Yes, I think so."
Shohei: "Could we start by having a look at the floor plans?"
Staff: "I have them right here."

We went over the floor plans and specifics with the representative.


After Aiba and I had a look at the modern room, we stepped into the showroom for a famous interior goods manufacturer.

MC: "It's gorgeous! Just looking at it all takes my breath away.
Shohei: "Even the chairs are artistic by themselves."
MC: "But look at that price. One of those chairs would set me back half of my monthly pay."
Shohei: "I've always wanted to design my own chairs and give them to the person I care for. If you like... I could give one to you, MC."
MC: "Huh...? Sorry, I didn't catch that?"
Shohei: "Oh, uh, never mind... No big deal."


We went back to the office and I checked my e-mail at my desk.

MC: "..." (I still haven't gotten a reply from Genji. Is he busy...? Or did he not like the furniture I picked out...?)
Shohei: "Hey MC, the new Cassina catalogue arrived today."

I wasted no time joining Aiba in looking over the catalogue.

MC: "It's all so refined."
Shohei: "It looks like most of it is simple, modern, and white these days."
MC: "But doesn't that make it harder to show individuality?"
Shohei: "On the contrary, it makes it easier. You can make all the changes you want on the textile side. Like here, if you take this white piece and match it with the rug on this page..."
MC: "Wow, it's a totally different image."
Shohei: "Yeah, see? Just changing the window curtains to blinds makes it feel different. Placement of smaller items like vases and candle stands also define it differently."
MC: "I see... No wonder you're the team lead."
Shohei: "Nah, this is all child's play."
MC: "..." (Aiba's not just nice, he's also competent at his job... I'd never worked with him before now, so I'd never noticed.)

We went over at least 10 catalogues that day. Aiba and I picked out the furniture for the model room.

Shohei: "That should be enough on the furniture side. The rest depends on how you choose to design the layout of it all."
MC: "I'll do my best."
Shohei: "Ah, it's already half past 7. You can call it a day for now and finish the rest tomorrow."
MC: "Thanks, I'll do that."
Shohei: "What are you doing after this? Want to get something to eat?"
MC: "Ah... Sorry, I've already got plans to eat with Akiko and some friends of ours."
Shohei: "Er... What time was that supposed to be?"
MC: "7 o'clock..."
Shohei: "...It's already past then. Why didn't you say anything?"
MC: "I told them I might be late because of work, it's fine."
Shohei: "I'll sort things out here. You go on ahead."
MC: "But..."
Shohei: "Go on. If you're any later, I'll be the one Katayama chews out."
MC: "Thanks, Aiba. I'll make it up to you with lunch tomorrow."
Shohei: "Sure, you're on."


MC: "Sorry, I'm late!"

I came running frantically into the bar.

Akiko: "Glad to see you!"
Aoi: "Glad you could make it. Here, have a towelette."
MC: "Thanks."
Yukako: "We started without you."
Kiyoto: "Welcome, Miss. Will you have the Tom Collins today?"
MC: "Nice try. I'll go with a tequila sunrise today."
Kiyoto: "Hm? You look chipper today, Miss. Did you get dirty with someone?"
MC: "Don't tease your elders."
Kiyoto: "You're too old to get embarrassed by that anyway."
MC: "Forget about that. Get me a tequila sunrise, pronto!"
Kiyoto: "Yes, ma'am, very good, ma'am."
Yukako: "You've been pretty energetic in your work lately, MC."
Akiko: "Of course. She's our division's new weapon. Even that ruthless workaholic Mr. Ebihara sees MC working... And gets inspired to work even harder."
MC: "I'm still just learning the ropes."
Aoi: "But I'm glad to hear that anyway... You've gotten so cheery, you're like a different person."
MC: "What's wrong, Aoi?"
Aoi: "I was worried about you, MC..."

(She was worried about me...?)

MC: "I'll be fine. I love my work, and it enriches me everyday."
Kiyoto: "Here you are, one tequila sunrise. Hey, what's wrong with the Miss over here?"
MC: "It's nothing. Come on, Aoi, let's have a toast."
Aoi: "Right."
MC: "Then, if I can make the toast. To 4 BFFs and a bright future. Cheers!"
All: "Cheers!"

Ding ding

Kiyoto: "Welcome."
Genji: "The cocktails in this place are great."
MC: "Huh...? Genji?"
Genji: "Oh... Hey, MC."

Genji had two teammates and three young girls with him.

Genji: "What's up? You girls having another girls' night out?"
MC: "Having a mixer, Genji?"
Genji: "Something like that."
MC: "A Japan national team player must get all the girls, huh?"
Genji: "Jealous?"
MC: "..."
Girl 1: "Mr. Higashiyama? How do you know these old bags?"


Akiko: "Excuse me! If you want to call us old bags, you can call Genji a wrinkled old man. We're classmates."
Girl 2: "Get out! Classmates?!"
Girl 3: "Mr. Higashiyama looks way younger!"
Girls: "Ahaha, you said it!"
Akiko: "Grrr... Who the hell do you think you are?! A bunch of talentless girls whose only asset is youth!"
MC: "Akko..."
Girls: "Boo-hoo. Mr. Higashiyama!"
MC: "We're trying to drink amongst ourselves here. I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't butt in. Go away."
Genji: "..."

Genji headed for a table some distance away, not on our side.

Akiko: "Holy cow that pisses me off. What's with that attitude?"
Aoi: "No kidding. Those girls will be old bags themselves in a few more years."
Akiko: "Getting worked up about it is just a waste of energy, though."
Yukako: "Yeah, let's drink. Kiyoto, more cocktails all around."
Kiyoto: "Coming right up."



MC: "..." (Maybe telling him to go away was a little harsh... But it just slipped out of my mouth.)
Kiyoto: "You're pretty bothered over Genji Higashiyama, aren't you, Miss?"
MC: "...Not really."
Kiyoto: "He's the invigorating type that the girls love."
MC: "He's not invigorating or anything... He's just self-absorbed."
Kiyoto: "Mm... You know a lot about him."
MC: "Not really... I just..."
Kiyoto: "MC, I've come for you. Right? Was Genji Higashiyama your first?"
MC: "Hey, can you drop it?!"
Kiyoto: "Fine, fine."

Kiyoto returned to the bar. I stole a glance at Genji. He was laughing loudly and enjoying himself.

MC: "..."





A while after that, we left the bar.

Aoi: "Ugh, that was supposed to be our night out."
Akiko: "We can have a do-over later."
Genji: "Sorry about that."
MC: "...Huh? Genji?!"
Genji: "Excuse me, mind if I borrow her for a second?"
MC: "H-Hey, you can't!"
Yukako: "Sure, fine by me! Go right ahead! We'll see ourselves home from here, okay?"

(Ugh, I don't want to be alone with him. I've got no idea what we could even talk about.)

MC: "Aren't you in the middle of a gathering?"
Genji: "Yeah, but your attitude was pissing me off so much I couldn't stay focused."
MC: "What?!"
Genji: "Are you really jealous over me?"
MC: "Excuse me?"
Genji: "You should say so, then. I like girls most when they're forthright."
MC: "...It looks like talking any further with you would be a waste of effort."
Genji: "Hey, hold on a sec!"

I ignored Genji and walked off.

MC: "He really is a conceited dirtbag!" (But... I shouldn't even care about dealing with Genji at this point... Why am I so worked up...?)


MC: "Mr. Ebihara, this is my layout for the model room furniture. What do you think?"

I showed Mr. Ebihara the layout that I drew up in PowerPoint.

Kippei: "It's run-of-the-mill. There's nothing distinct about it. Do it over."
MC: "Yes, sir..." (Ugh... That's my third do-over today... Will I make it in time for tomorrow?)



I sat in front of my PC and re-did my work.


Nanami: "The model room furniture is scheduled to be delivered on the last delivery truck tonight."
MC: "Thanks, Miss Yamaguchi."
Shohei: "MC, line 2. It's from the book cafe owner."
MC: "Got it, thanks. Hello, this is MC."

I held the receiver to my ears, typing at my PC even as I responded to the client.

Just past 8PM.

Kippei: "Are you done with the model room furniture layout yet, MC?"
MC: "I'm all done! I'm printing it out now."

I took the printed out documents and brought them to Mr. Ebihara's desk.

MC: "Thank you for waiting. How's this?"
Kippei: "..."
MC: "..." (What do I do if he rejects this one too...?)
Kippei: "...Not bad."
MC: "Ah? Thank you very much, sir!" (Oh, thank god. I made it in time for tomorrow.)



MC: "I'm home."
Yoshiko: "Welcome home."
MC: "Where's Dad?"
Yoshiko: "He's not home yet. Have you eaten?"
MC: "No, but... Don't worry, I'll fix my own."
Yoshiko: "Let me do it. All I have to do is heat it up anyway. You should change first, though."
MC: "Thanks, Mom."

I went to my bedroom to change.


I started to change out of my work clothes when my cellphone rang. It was the person in charge of the condominium model room.  

MC: "Hello? This is MC."
Staff: "I'm sorry to call you so late. Um, the furniture just arrived, and I checked the contents... The items that arrived are different from what was in the pictures you provided me..."
MC: "Hm...?"
Staff: "What is going on here?"
MC: "I'm terribly sorry. I'll head there on the double."

I picked up my purse and hastily descended the stairs.


Yoshiko: "MC, you look bothered. Is something wrong?"
MC: "Just a little trouble at work."
Yoshiko: "Hm...? Trouble?"

Just then, Dad returned home.

Tetsuo: "MC, where are you going at this hour?"
MC: "...To see a client."
Tetsuo: "A client?"
MC: "There seems to have been a mix-up in a shipment..." 
Tetsuo: "You can't even keep your work in order?"   
MC: "!"
Tetsuo: "You're like your mother, more suited to being a housewife."
MC: "..."
Tetsuo: "But you keep fixating on your stupid job. You let all your family relations go to waste."
MC: "..."
Tetsuo: "If you'd quit you job when you got married... Maybe you wouldn't have gone through the humiliation of a divorce?
MC: "..."
Yoshiko: "Dear..."
Tetsuo: "It's true. Men divorce women because the women have jobs."
MC: "...He didn't divorce me. I divorced him. Besides, I don't regret getting a divorce. And I'm not going to quit my job now, either!"
Tetsuo: "What did you say?!"
MC: "Forget it... I'm sick of hearing your snide remarks day in and day out, Dad. I'm leaving. I'll live by myself!"
Tetsuo: "MC!"

I ignored my Dad's voice and stormed out of the living room.


MC: "..." (Ugh... I finally butted heads with Dad... But what else could I do? I couldn't keep taking that.)


MC: "Excuse me. I'm MC with the Ichikawa Design Office."
Staff: "Have a look. We got something completely different."
MC: "... (How did this happen?) I'll check with the shippers right away."
Staff: "If it doesn't get here by tomorrow, we won't make it in time for the opening!"
MC: "I'll make sure everything happens on time. I'll make all the arrangements needed so that this gets here by tomorrow."

I called up the shipper immediately. I checked to make sure they hadn't delivered the shipment to the wrong address.

MC: "Ah... It's not wrong... I see... Then it was a mistake on our end... I'm sorry, but could I ask you to come and pick up the shipment you just delivered...? Thank you."

I hung up the phone and quickly called Nanami.

Brrring, brrring...

MC: "... (Ugh, Nanami's not coming to the phone. She doesn't have a voicemail either...) ... (I'll have to go to the office and check for myself.) The shippers will be back to pick up the wrong shipment very soon. I need to get back to the office and get in direct contact with the warehouse. I'll find out where our shipment is now and get back to you."
Staff: "All right."



I ran down the hall and flipped on the lights. I checked through the bundle of shipping request forms on Nanami's desk.

MC: "Here it is... This is the one." (You're kidding me... Why is a shipment intended for Tokyo being sent to a warehouse in Hamamatsu...?)

I called to verify.

Brrring, brrring, click.

MC: "Ah, hello? Is this the Hamamatsu Shipping Center? I'm MC with the Ichikawa Design Office. Did shipment #205-321-9999 arrive at your warehouse?"

The shipment intended for the model room had arrived at a warehouse in Hamamatsu.

MC: "..." (What do I do? Hamamatsu, of all places... I can't make arrangements for a moving truck at this hour... I'll never make it in time for tomorrow.)

I was so overwhelmed I was on the verge of tears.

(Oh, god... What do I do?)

Rrring!

I looked at the display. It read, Genji Higashiyama.

MC: "..."

The phone kept ringing.

(Oh, for the love of...)

MC: "Hello?"
Genji: "You should answer my calls in 3 rings or less!"
MC: "Im sorry."
Genji: "What's with that defeated tone?"
MC: "I'm not..."
Genji: "Liar. What happened? I told you to be more forthright."
MC: "...Genji, help me."
Genji: "Huh...?"
MC: "I... I don't know what to do."
Genji: "About what?"
MC: "The furniture meant to be delivered to a condominium in the city... Got delivered to a Hamamatsu warehouse by mistake..."
Genji: "Mm..."
MC: "...If it's not delivered by tomorrow, it won't be ready in time for the opening... I can't rent a moving truck at this hour..."
Genji: "..."
MC: "..."
Genji: "All you need is a truck and a driver, right?"
MC: "Huh?"
Genji: "I'll do something about this. You wait right there."

Genji said, then hung up the phone.

MC: "Genji?"

Beep, beep

MC: "..." (Genji... What does he plan on doing to manage this?)

                    

No comments:

Post a Comment