Monday, May 27, 2013

In Your Arms Tonight: Genji Higashiyama Story (Chapter 5)





MC: "..."

Rrring!

(Genji!)

MC: "Yes! Hello?"
Yoshiko: "MC...?"
MC: "Oh... Hi, Mom."
Yoshiko: "I was worried about you after seeing you storm out of the house like that..."
MC: "I'm sorry."
Yoshiko: "How's work?"
MC: "It's fine. I'm managing."
Yoshiko: "...Good. Don't push yourself too hard, now."
MC: "I know. It's late, you should get some sleep."
Yoshiko: "I will. Have a good night."
MC: "You too, Mom."

I hung up.

MC: "..." (Sorry, Mom. All I ever do is make you worry.)

My cellphone rang again.

MC: "Hello?"
Genji: "Good, you made it in exactly three rings this time."
MC: "Genji."
Genji: "Where are you now, MC?"
MC: "I'm at the office."
Genji: "I'll be there in 5 minutes. Wait down below."
MC: "Huh? Wait!"

Beep, beep

MC: "..." (Genji's coming here for me?)




It was dark outside, with no sign of anyone around.

MC: "..."

Honk, honk

I looked in the direction of the horn sound and saw the bright gleam of headlights.

MC: "Huh...?"

The Yokohama Norinos team truck came rolling up. It pulled up to the curb right next to me as I stood there staring in amazement. Genji hopped down from the driver's seat.

Genji: "Hey."
MC: "Genji... This truck..."
Genji: "It's our team truck. I called the owner and borrowed it."
MC: "...You borrowed it?"
Genji: "No griping. Just hop in!"
MC: "..."





We shifted from the Metropolitan Expressway to the Tokyo-Nagoya Expressway.

MC: "Genji... I'm sorry about putting you through all of this so late"
Genji: "Man, what would you have done if I hadn't called when I did?"
MC: "..."
Genji: "What would you have done if I didn't get the team truck?"
MC: "..."
Genji: "And what would you have done if I didn't have a commercial driver's license?"
MC: "..."

I said nothing. All I could do was shrink further into the passenger's seat.

Genji: "Good thing your guardian angel arrived."
MC: "...There you go again."



(H-He's humming? Despite everything he says, he seems to be in a great mood.)

Genji: "Hey, give me some juice!"
MC: "Huh?"
Genji: "In that shopping bag over there."

He tilted his head toward it.

MC: "Ah, right."

I pulled a juice bottle out of the bag, pulled off the cap, and offered it over.

Genji: "Put it in my mouth."
MC: "Huh?"
Genji: "I can't take my hands off the wheel."
MC: "Ah, right."

I brought the top of the juice bottle up to Genji's mouth.

Genji: "Ow!"
MC: "Ah, sorry."

I'd clattered the bottle against Genji's teeth.

Genji: "You suck at this."
MC: "...Sorry."

I brought the bottle carefully up to Genji's mouth once more.

Gulp, gulp

MC: "..." (Phew, it worked this time.)
Genji: "Chocolate."
MC: "Huh?"
Genji: "Chocolate!"
MC: "Ah, right." (Now he wants chocolate...? And it's Tirol chocolate... That's almost funny.)
Genji: "What're you grinning about? Hurry up and feed me."
MC: "Ah, right."

I popped chocolates into Genji's open mouth.

Genji: "Man, Tirol milk chocolate is the best."
MC: "...You've got some around your mouth."
Genji: "Here."

Genji tilted his mouth to the left.

MC: "..."
Genji: "Wipe it off."
MC: "...Right."

I took a tissue and wiped around Genji's mouth.

  
Genji: "Have some chocolate for yourself, too. You used to like milk chocolate, right?"
MC: "Yeah."

I ate some chocolate.

MC: "Mm, it's sweet and delicious."
Genji: "I know, right?"




We took a bathroom break at a truck stop in Fujikawa. I looked at my wristwatch.

MC: "It's already 2 AM..."

I let out a sigh.

(Keep it together, MC! Genji's the one driving the truck. He's got it way more rough.)

I looked outside and saw Genji doing some stretching exercises.

Genji: "You'll get economy class syndrome if you keep sitting the whole time. You should do some too."
MC: "...Okay."
Genji: "Don't just sit there."
MC: "..."
Genji: "Quit lollygagging!!"
MC: "..." (Guess I'll have to play along.)
Genji: "One, two, three, four! Five, six, seven, eight!"
MC: "One, two, three, four! Five, six, seven, eight!"
Genji: "One, two, three, four! Five, six, seven, eight!"
MC: "One, two, three, four! Five, six, seven, eight!" (Ugh... Doing stretching exercises together in a truck stop in the middle of the night...?)


Genji plonked something down in my lap as I sat in the passenger's seat.

Genji: "This is for you."
MC: "Huh...?"
Genji: "It's a pouch with some local character on it. Cute, huh?"
MC: "..." (Cute? How old does he think I am...? Ah, come to think of it, I remember getting a weird keychain from him in high school, too. Genji's always been abysmal at picking out presents. But... it does make me feel kind of warm inside. It feels like Genji's been helping me out ever since I got divorced.)

Genji started the engine and got the truck back on the road. To my left, I could see the sea glimmering in the moonlight.

MC: "Wow... Look at the sea..."

Fwoosh!

Genji opened the windows. I took a long breath.

MC: "I can smell the saltwater..."

I quietly looked at Genji as he faced forward. Genji noticed my look.

Genji: "What?"
MC: "Um... nothing." (I was just thinking that I was kind of happy.)He got off at the Hamamatsu interchange. It was past 5 AM when the truck rolled up to the Hamamatsu warehouse.


MC: "Excuse me, I'm MC with the Ichikawa Design Office. I've come to receive a shipment"
Staff: "We've been waiting for you."

We got help from the staffers loading everything onto the truck.

Genji: *huff, huff* "Man, this is more exhausting than a soccer game."
MC: *huff* "Sorry about this, Genji."

We were both out of breath and drenched in sweat.

Staff: "Here, we have some spare gift towels left over from the Bon festival. You can use them."
MC: "Thank you very much."



I dampened a towel with tap water and wiped away my sweat.

Genji: "Whew, that feels great."
MC: "Genji... Thank you so much for what you're doing today."
Genji: "That's the first time you've come to me for help."
MC: "Huh?"
Genji: "Back in high school, you never came to me when you were in a bind."
MC: "...Didn't I?"
Genji: "Even now you were keeping it to yourself until things got really desperate, right?"
MC: "...Yeah."
Genji: "Well, I'm glad to see you looking better now, at least."
MC: "...Thanks. Telling you all about it made me feel like a weight was lifted off of me."
Genji: "Good. I'm glad to hear it, but... You've never spoken up when you something to say. You did what your parents told you and studied hard. You were a teacher's pet."
MC: "All you did was play soccer, right?"
Genji: "I was gunning for the big leagues even back then, and I enjoyed soccer."
MC: "You were so shy in those days. You've changed since going to Europe."
Genji: "I got some confidence after contending with overseas players. Now I'm not afraid of anything."
MC: "..."
Genji: "Man, I want to play in the World Cup so bad! In the World Cup... People all over the world pay attention to a player's each and every move. They say the cheers from the audience even shake the stadium."
MC: "Ah, I see."
Genji: "Top-rate players make their shots. And I'd block those shots at the goalpost. Maaan, the raging cheers rising through the stadium... Just picturing them gets me going!"
MC: "There's no stopping you when you get started on soccer, is there?"
Genji: "Hey, soccer's all I've got."
MC: "I heard about the goalie in the team you just fought, though. He's another candidate for the national team, isn't he?"
Genji: "Yeah. Daigo Mikami. I'd never let a guy like that bring me down. I'm invincible.)

(Genji really does love soccer. I want to see him play in the World Cup too...)

Genji: "Hey, check it out."

I looked in the direction Genji pointed.

MC: "Wow, the sun's risen... It's gorgeous..."
Genji: "I'm glad you're looking in better spirits now."

We watched the sunrise together.



Genji: "Whew, I'm sleepy... But it's not that much further, right?"
MC: "...Yeah."
Genji: "Dummy! You've got to get up earlier than that to sleep while I'm driving."
MC: "...Yeah." (Oh, goodness... I'm suddenly really drowsy...)

I felt my head nodding up and down.

MC: "..." (No, don't fall asleep... I've got to stick it out and stay awake... But my eyes won't open...)



Zzz...

MC: "Mm...?"


I opened my eyes drowsily and saw Genji's face next to mine.

MC: "Huh?! Oh god, I fell asleep! (Wait... Why is Genji's face next to mine? Did we fall asleep together?!) This is... the Ebina interchange, huh..." (Genji, you must have been tired this whole time and holding it in. Sorry about that.)      

I shifted my hips to move when I heard Genji at my ear.

Genji: "...Let me stay like this a little longer."
MC: "Huh?"

Zzz...

Genji fell right back asleep.

(Oh, goodness... But I guess Genji's been driving this whole time... I'll let him stay like this.)

Genji: "Whew, that was a good rest."

Genji gave a mighty yawn.

MC: "...Ugh..." (Sitting like that for 2 hours was rough. My shoulder's all stiff.)
Genji: "What're you sighing for?"
MC: "...Oh, nothing."
Genji: "C'mon, let's get back to Tokyo."
MC: "Right."
Genji: "You were talking in your sleep, you know."
MC: "Huh? What did I say?"
Genji: "You said, Genji."
MC: "Y-You liar! I did not..."

My face grew brightly flushed.

Genji: *snrk* "That's what you get for going to sleep before me."
MC: "...Oh, come on!"

Smack

I smacked Genji's shoulder.

Genji: "Ow! Take it easy on me!"
Together: "Hahaha!"



We reached the condominium. And we managed to get the shipment in to the model room. Then Genji gave me a ride to the nearest station.

Genji: "See you around."
MC: "Thanks for everything. Be careful."

I kept waving until the team truck disappeared from view.


MC: "I'm back."

I opened the door and stepped in, and Nanami came up to me.


Nanami: "It looks like I messed it up..."
MC: "It's fine. We still made it in time."
Nanami: "Thank goodness! But Mr. Ebihara's been yelling up a storm. It's been awful."
MC: "...I'd better get my report to Mr. Ebihara."

I passed right by my own desk and went straight to Mr. Ebihara's desk.

Kippei: "That must have been rough on you."
MC: "I'm sorry, sir. I should have verified things more thoroughly."
Kippei: "You can go home for today, MC. Get lots of rest."
MC: "Yes, sir. Thank you very much."



After a lot of hesitation, I decided to return to the house for a short while.

MC: "I'm home."
Yoshiko: "Welcome home, MC. Did it go okay?"

Mom came right up to me.

MC: "Yeah, it went fine."
Yoshiko: "Good... I'm glad to hear it. I was worried about you."
MC: "I though you might be, so I decided to come home for a bit."
Yoshiko: "Hm?"
MC: "Sorry, Mom. I'm leaving the house today."
Yoshiko: "...Leaving? Where will you go?"
MC: "For now, I'll stay with a friend or go to a hotel."
Yoshiko: "..."
MC: "I'll get a shower and change. Then I'm going to a realtor to start househunting."
Yoshiko: "..."
MC: "Please, you don't have to look so worried."
Yoshiko: "But..."
MC: "I'll be fine! I've not been a good daughter even at the best of times. I want to move out so that I don't worry you anymore than I already have."
Yoshiko: "..."
MC: "I'm getting a shower."
Yoshiko: "..."


MC: "..." (I don't want to see Mom looking miserable anymore. If I stay here, I'm sure to butt heads with Dad. So me leaving the house is best for the whole family.)




I got my shower. Then I packed a carrying case with several days' worth of changes of clothes and makeup, and left the house. Mom saw me off.

MC: "See you later, Mom."
Yoshiko: "...Take care of yourself."
MC: "Mom, this isn't goodbye forever, okay? Don't look so forlorn."
Yoshiko: "..."
MC: "Once I pick a place, I'll call you up again."

I said, then walked off without looking back.

MC: "..." (If I look back, I'll cry. Sorry, Mom.)

I picked out a train station from which I could reach my office in under 30 minutes with no transfers. Then I shopped around with a realtor.


MC: "I'm looking for a one-bedroom apartment with a dining room and kitchen."
Realtor: "What's your budget?"
MC: "I can go from $1200 to $1500."
Realtor: "Would you take something far from the station?"
MC: "MC: "MC: "MC: "MC: "MC: "MC: "I'd prefer if it was a 10 minute or less walk from the station..."
Realtor: "Would you take an older building?"
MC: "Hmm... I think the oldest I'd go for is something built in the last 10 years..."

The realtor pulled out some housing information files and started searching.

Realtor: "I see three things here that meet your criteria..."

Out of the three postings shown, the first was a one-bedroom apartment with a dining room and kitchen, but it was Japanese style.

MC: "I'd ah... prefer to have wooden flooring rather than tatami mats."

The second one was on the first floor.

MC: "I'd prefer the second floor or higher... I'm a little scared to live on the first floor..."

The third one was over my budget at $1600.

MC: "One hundred dollars over budget, huh..."
Rea"MC: "Realtor: "I thought that might not be too much more."
MC: "MC: "MC: "MC: "No, it's... kind of a tight squeeze."

I asked around with other realtors, but I couldn't find anything that clicked with me.


MC: "Whew... Househunting is rough. (I had no idea how much work goes into finding a place to live. I've been spoiled by my parents all my life...) It was easy for me to say it all, but... I've got a long way to go before I'm independent."

I found myself thinking of Genji.

(It's this rough just finding a place to live in the city. And Genji's been spending his time living overseas in places where he doesn't even know the language. Right after graduating high school, even. He must have toughened up.)

MC: "Guess I'd better find a place to stay for tonight."

I got on the phone.

MC: "Hello, Akko? This is MC... I've got a little favor to ask."



I drank a cocktail-in-a-can. I was holding a DEAN & DELUCA prepackaged meal that I'd bought.

Akiko: "I heard all about it, MC. You went all the way to Hamamatsu, right? That must have been rough."
MC: "It was."
Akiko: "But I'm amazed you got a truck at all in the middle of the night."
MC: "...I put myself at someone else's mercy."
Akiko: "Huh? Whose?"
MC: "...Genji's."
Akiko: "No way."
MC: "Genji drove his team truck. He went with me all the way to Hamamatsu and back."
Akiko: "Well, I'll be... I never imagined anything like that would happen..."
MC: "Me either..."
Akiko: "But he was interested in you in the bar the other day, too. Maybe this could be the miraculous revival of your romance."
MC: "That'd be the day! I just got divorced."

Then I heard an announcer on the TV that had just been turned on.

Host: "Our guest today is the official goalie of the Japan national soccer team, Mr. Genji Higashiyama."

That got our attention. Akko and I looked at the TV.

Genji: "Hey there, glad I could be here. I'm Genji Higashiyama."
Akiko: "It's your Genji, MC!"
MC: "I'm telling you, you've got it all wrong..."
Host: "You're quite a talented player, of course. But right now you're also well-known as a refreshingly cool goalie. You're quite popular with the girls and you're all over magazines and TV, aren't you?"
Genji: "No, no, not at all."
MC: "See...? He's so famous. I couldn't possibly keep up with him!"
Akiko: "You think so? I don't think he's that different from the old Genji."




Genji: "No griping. Just hop in! Have some chocolate for yourself, too. It's a pouch with some local character on it. Cute, huh?"





MC: "..." (I was at his side just this morning, yet... Seeing him on TV, he feels so far away.)

3 comments:

  1. i am sooo bummed you quit posting these :(((

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi...did you find somewhere else to read the rest? I am stuck!! :( Please help :D

      Delete
  2. please add the rest! Please...really want to read the rest :(

    ReplyDelete